Overview & History
The first “clubhouse” was a small thatched cottage rented from Maggie Leonard. This lady was one of a number of cottage farmers who lived on the peninsula at that time. Dining was by way of picnic on the adjoining land at the rear of the present first green.
A new clubhouse was erected in 1896 on the site of the present building. The footprint was 57 X 47 feet with timber walls and corrugated iron roof. Accommodation consisted of club room, lunch room, bar, two changing rooms, kitchen and workshop for the professional. The verandah faced the first fairway. This structure was destroyed by fire in 1905 and replaced the following year. The new building was larger with a bar replacing the former club room and was further extended in 1927 prior to the holding of the first of eighteen Irish Open Championships. In 1955 the Locker room and shower area were extended and a separate Professional shop was constructed beside the first tee. A new Gate Lodge was constructed in the same year and the first occupant was the Head Green keeper of the time, John Temple. It is now occupied by the present Head Green keeper Gary Johnstone. The current clubhouse, rebuilt in 2004 to the most exacting standards, is a treasure trove of memorabilia and tradition stretching back to the 19th century for members and visitors to enjoy, while pleasantly passing the time at the start or finish of the golfing day.